Register/Login to join the discussion.

Guest Speaker

Join the conversation where members talk openly about the facilitation of their groups and discuss ways to overcome group challenges.

Moderator: Matt (CPC Admin)

Lyly.C
Group: Chinese Brain Injury Carers Support Group

Guest Speaker

Unread postby Lyly.C » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:39 pm

Hi all, I have been trying to invite a guest speaker from Ambulance NSW/ St Johns First Aid to come out to talk to my Chinese Brain Injury Carers Support Group to no avail. The marketing officer at Ambulance NSW informs me that their officers need to attend to emergencies and have no time to talk to groups and I have to wait until they become available. Do you have previous successes?
I would also appreciate if you could give me ideas of other interesting guest speakers that I can invite. We had already approached these organisations in the past: Centrelink, Housing, Legal Aid, NDIS, GP, Guardianship Tribunal, psychologist (re challenging behaviours), Commonwealth Respite Care Services, Carers NSW etc. Thank you in advance.

Christina.S
Group: Carers Action Network

Re: Guest Speaker

Unread postby Christina.S » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:05 am

Hi
I have had NSW Trustee and Guardian come and present on making wills, Powers of Attorney and Enduring Guardianships, setting up a trust in the will to provide for a beneficiary who may not be capable to handling money. This topic generated a lot of discussion and the speaker was great.

I had an education and training officer from Carers NSW present on wellbeing.

I have arranged for NSW Fair Trading to present next month. Their number is 13 32 20 or email FairTrainingSeminars@finance.nsw.gov.au
I can send their poster if you want. But was unable to attach it here. You can email me at Christina.Sullivan@wesleymission.org.au

I have an email distribution list of local service providers and when I emailed them to ask for expressions of interest for guest speakers, I received a lot of replies.

You could try your local CHSP Sector Support and Development Officer and ask if they could put their feelers out for you. They usually have networking meetings with service providers in their region and a large email distribution list.

Regards
Christina Sullivan
Carers Action Network
Hunter Region

Catherine.C
Group: Karumah's carers

Unread postby Catherine.C » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:32 am

Hi, you can always approach the organiser's of the interagencies that are held locally. If you would like a representative from St John Ambulance to speak then enquire after the cadets program and the older young people who have ceased their cadetship may be available or the teachers of this program. They too have to be available to attend functions and events and are completely current with their knowledge. In addition, Partners in Recovery; Alzheimers Australia; Self care speakers; and Mindfulness promoters can be informative. Most particularly anyone who can increase a persons toolbox of 'self care' options is valuable in my experience.

Matt (CPC Admin)
Group: CPC Staff Member

Unread postby Matt (CPC Admin) » Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:21 pm

This came to my email -

• Hi Matthew,

We can help to connect with people to organise different info sessions for the group in Mandarin/Cantonese language.

In order to provide concrete contacts, I need to know more details a below:
• Which local government/suburb where the group meet?
• Whether those carers care for people older or under 65 years old
• Which language the group like to have those info sessions to be delivered?

Kind regards,
Vi

Community and Cultural Connections Inc (CCCi)
Hut 1, 142 Addison Road, Marrickville NSW 2204
Phone: (02) 8507 2027 or 8507 2028 | Mobile: 0404 937 298 |
Email: vi@ccci.org.au | Web: http://www.ccci.org.au
Working days: Tuesdays-Fridays
Vi Pham (Tuong-Vi Pham)
Executive Officer
Matthew Elder
Education and Training Officer
Carers NSW

P 02 9280 4744 Level 10, 213 Miller Street
F 02 9280 4755 North Sydney NSW 2060
Carer Line 1800 242 636 PO Box 785 North Sydney NSW 2059
matthewe@carersnsw.org.au

Irene.J
Group: Greek Carers group of the Sutherland Shire Carer Support Service Inc,

Unread postby Irene.J » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:58 am

Hi Lyly,
Health Promotion services for Older people have guest speakers for session bookings and can be contacted on 9281 3588. They actually have one on Healthy Brain Ageing. You need to complete a booking form which they can email you. You may request a Chinese speaking educator if they have one.
They have several other topics which are informative also.
As for other ideas, I found the Dep't of Fair Trading have good topics such as Shopping Rights, Trades People and Scam Awareness - very important for Elderly people in this day and age. You can check their website for details or call Arienne on 9895 0212.
You can also try - Arthritis Australia on 98573300, Vision Aust - 85259010, Australian Hearing - 95264300, Assistance dogs - 1800688364
Also centrelink can come out and speak to them about the pension. This was quite informative. The group had a lot of questions especially about their pension when one of them goes into a nursing home and what happens to their home etc.
Hope this is of some help. Good Luck. Irene

Return to “Discussing and brainstorming ideas to overcome group challenges”